- 2 1/2 cups (350 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature, and cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 – 120 ml) ice water
This is a variant of the recipe on Joy of Baking to be prepared in a Kitchen Aid Mixer instead of a food processor. In this variant, the butter should be soft / at room temperature. First just roughly mix the salt and sugar in the flour. Then add small bits of butter. The mixing with the butter take a good 10 minutes at speed 2. Once you do get the coarse meal consistency, add progressively 1/4 cup water, wait for a couple minutes while still mixing, then slowly add water, no more than another 1/4 cup, until the dough seizes. Stop the mixing, form a ball, cut in halves, wrap in plastic and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
This recipe makes enough dough for two medium-size pies. Note than until when using the food processor, you do not have to worry about mixing the dough a few seconds too long.