Makes 6 servings
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions also known as scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 packs of 16oz whole wheat gnocchi
- Sour cream, half a small 16 oz. container, or 8 oz.
- Comte cheese from Costco, half a pound (0.5 Lb.) grated
- 4 slices of bacon, sliced in small pieces – like French “lardons“
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- cooking oil, one tablespoon
- black pepper
- Cooktop and oven
- Small sauce pan, for the white sauce
- Large sauce pan, for boiling the gnocchi
- Blender or food processor to puree the vegetables
- Large skillet, for reducing the vegetable puree
- Large baking dish, enough to contain all the ingredients
- 15 minutes preparation
- 45 minutes cooking, if you do things in parallel.
Boil enough salted water in the large sauce pan for all the gnocchi.
In the meantime, in the food processor or blender, puree the bell peppers, green onion and garlic. Use one tablespoon of water to help the machine do the puree. Add small amount of black pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the large skillet, then poor the puree at medium heat to reduce, stirring if needed, for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
While the puree is reducing, the water should start boiling. Add the gnocchi and cook until the gnocchi come to the surface, about 3 minutes. Drain well, and spread half at the bottom of the large baking dish.
Preheat the oven at 375 F (for traditional oven; convection oven should adjust the temperature down).
Melt butter in the small saucepan over low heat. Shift flour and stir it in the butter until smooth. Add milk, stirring again until smooth. Remove from heat and use half to put on top of the first layer of gnocchi in the baking dish.
Spoon over half of the vegetable puree. Spoon over half of the sour cream. Spread half of the bacon and grated cheese over. Repeat for a second layer with all ingredients, finishing with the grated cheese to get a nice crust after baking.
Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. The dish will be very hot, allow to cool a bit after serving and before eating.